Thursday, April 26, 2012

How to propagate mint

Mint is a very popular, useful, and tenacious herb. Its leaves can be used in teas and in cooking to add a bright flavor and aid in digestion.

Mint is an aggressive plant, so it doesn't take much effort to spread it around. In fact, many people grow mint in containers so it won't take over the entire garden.

I wanted to grow mint in the bed near the front of my house, and in the bed bordering my back wall, both of which are north-facing. Mint grows well in the shade, so I transplanted some shoots and placed them where other plants might have a harder time thriving die to minimal sunlight.

The picture below shows three different mint patches all grown from transplanting shoots from a mother plant. As you can see, the leaves are almost as big as my finger, so location and method were successful.

Here are the steps I followed.

1. Remove a healthy mint shoot along with part of the shoot that is underground.

2. Plant the shoot in loose, fertile soil (I use Kellogg Garden Soil), either in a pot or the ground (I've had better results in the ground).

3. Water to keep the ground moist, but not too wet. You might even mix in some sand to help the soil drain.

Remember, mint is invasive, so give it a plot of its own, or try it in a pot.

Let me know how it goes. Cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment