Wednesday, April 25, 2012

Getting Rid of Snails

There is a powerful sense of pride and optimism to see beans sprouting after a couple of weeks of anticipation. There is an equally powerful feeling of frustration and rage to discover only truncated stems remaining of those hopeful bean sprouts.

The culprit? Snails. They are slow, but full of purpose. They are slimy, but determined. Their goal? To rob your family of food, and to rob you of your dignity.

Ok, I am being a bit dramatic, but it is quite disheartening to find snails in your vegetable garden, and no matter how many snails you pitch over the fence, others will come to take their place.

I avoided the use of snail killers for a long time, because I didn't want to be the direct cause of their deaths. I finally put down some Corry's Slug and Snail Pellets after a particularly rainy couple of days revealed to me how many snails shared my residence and my love of vegetables.

It worked like a charm.

Using latex gloves to avoid skin irritation, I sprinkled the pellets around all my veggies, being mindful not to let any of the pellets rest on the leaves of any plants. By the next day, the only signs of any snails were their desiccated shells.

Snails need to stay moist to stay alive, and the metaldehyde in the snail pellets dries them out. It's that simple.

If you want a quick and easy solution to your snail problem, use Corry's Slug and Snail Pellets. It will save you a lot of time, effort, and frustration.

Warnings: Metaldehyde is toxic to pets and humans, which is why you don't want it resting on your fruit and vegetable plants. Keep pets and children away if they like to touch or ingest new things. The pellets will irritate the skin if handled with bare hands, so use gloves when applying the pellets to the garden.

I'm interested I'm hearing about other experiences with snails, so leave a comment and share your stories and solutions.

Happy harvesting! Cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment