Monday, April 16, 2012

How to grow plumeria from cuttings

Plumeria is a beautiful, sweet-smelling tree that can be propagated easily using cuttings. The first time I saw a plumeria cutting was at the airport in Hawaii and it looked like a stick in a bag. The instructions were pretty simple - stick the cutting in some soil and don't overwater.

The cutting that I bought that day rotted because I overwatered it. When plumeria are rooting, they need to stay warm and they need to be given a chance to get dry before watering again. The roots need to have a chance to seek out the water, or at least that's what I've read.

Well, I hate seeing anything go to waste, so when I pruned our plumeria tree for Lily's birthday party last August, I let all the cuttings dry out for about a week, then I stuck three of them into some dry soil and watched and waited. I am now the proud father of three baby plumeria trees, one of which was adopted by a very good friend. My two remaining trees and their source tree are pictured below.

If you have a plumeria tree and you want some more, it's very easy and FREE to just use your existing tree as a mother to any future plumeria trees you want to grow. Just get a clean cutting tool, find some soil, and follow the steps below.

1. Using your clean cutting tool (I use a mini hacksaw), remove a 12-18 inch cutting that has a little bit of gray bark at the base.

2. Leave the cutting out for about a week so a seal can form where the branch was cut. You can also stick the branch in some sand to help it seal up a little more quickly.

3. When you are ready to plant, choose a spot with good soil and plant the cutting about 3" deep in the soil.

4. Water lightly, and then only water when the soil looks dry. Again, too much water will cause the cutting to rot.

I planted my plumeria cuttings in September, and I started noticing new leaf growth in March. If you plant a cutting in spring, you might get faster results. You might also get faster results if you use a rooting hormone, which I did not.

Have fun growing your own plumeria, and let me know how it goes. Ideas and suggestions are welcome.

Cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment